Online Video Poker
A video poker machine will deal you a winning hand of Jacks or Better 21% of the time. The way to become a successful video poker player is by knowing what to do the remaining 79% of the time. For the experienced player, the house edge on video poker is fairly small, and in some cases the odds are even. This course presents some general video poker tips to help you optimize your winnings. Good luck!
- Remember video poker is nothing like table poker. Don’t try to interchange your strategies.
- Find the best payout. The higher the payout, the higher your expected return will be. The best video poker payout you’re likely to find is 9/6, which means a Full House pays 9 to 1 and a Flush pays 6 to 1.
- Always play max coins. Max coins leads to max payout and max return.
- Take your time. There’s no one to get impatient with you at a video poker machine. Be sure to think each hand through before acting.
- Start low. If you are a novice player, play on the lowest denomination machine until you become more experienced.
- Never draw five new cards if you hold a Jack or better. Some players don’t realize the Ace is not the most important card in the deck, the Jack is. Holding the Jack over the Ace gives you more opportunities of making lucrative hands than an Ace would.
- Never hold just a 10.
- Never keep a kicker with a Pair. Holding a kicker to any Pair reduces your return by 5%.
- Never draw four cards if you can draw three cards to a Royal Flush.
- Never break a Straight to draw to a Straight Flush.
- Always keep a winning hand dealt to you unless you can draw one card to a Royal Flush.
- Don’t break a Flush. Only break a flush if you can draw one card to a Royal Flush. Do not break a Flush to draw a Straight Flush.
- Don’t play for a Flush. It’s not a good idea to hold three cards to a Flush.
- Play with the streak. Lower your bets when you’re losing and increase them when you’re winning. Don’t let your emotions get the better of you.
- Only play progressive for a decent jackpot. Progressive video poker machines usually only offer a lower payout, 8/5. Only play on a progressive where the jackpot is over $250 on a nickel machine, $2,500 on a quarter, and $10,000 on a dollar.
There are many variations of video poker and the strategy varies for each. This course will give you the optimal video poker strategy for one of the most common versions of video poker, Jacks or Better Video Poker. This is only meant to be a basic video poker strategy guide for ease of use.
Let’s start with a few general video poker strategy tips:
- Take your time. No one is waiting on you to make a decision, so take as much time as you need.
- Each hand is a fresh start. Each hand you play in video poker will be due to a random number generator. Remember that past hands will have no affect on your current hand.
- Know how the paytable can affect your expected return. Find machines that will give you the best odds. The following table demonstrates how the paytable can alter your payout.
The table below will give you the basic video poker strategy for Jacks or Better Video Poker, assuming you are playing maximum coins. The optimal strategy will vary depending on the rules of the game and possibly the pay table. Make sure you check the conditions under which you are playing and adjust your video poker strategy accordingly.
|Jacks or Better Video Poker Strategy|