Online Roulette for Real Money
Online roulette for real money is a fast-paced, thrilling casino game that gives players in the US a chance to win big. One of its biggest appeals is its simplicity. All players need to do is choose a number to bet on. Although it’s primarily a game of luck, the gameplay can be maximized with betting strategies. Players of all skill levels can try their luck at this exciting game, and they will have no trouble finding excellent online gambling destinations where they can play it. Keep reading to find out everything you need to know about roulette online.
Where to Play Roulette Online
Basics of Online Roulette Gambling
In roulette gambling, you play for real money against the house. This is done by betting on colored numbers (black or red) on the roulette wheel. The house, or casino, is represented by the croupier, also known as the dealer. Typically, roulette gives players a 1 in 37 chance of hitting any specific number. However, in the US, that probability typically increases to 1 in 38. The roulette wheel here usually consists of the numbers 1 to 38, plus one zero and double zeros.
The Role of the Croupier
Players make wagers on their lucky number before each spin. The croupier then calls out “no more bets” and waves their hand across the table. At that point, no more bets can be placed, and the dealer will go to extra lengths to reinforce that rule.
The dealer then starts to spin the roulette wheel. A small white ball is added, spinning in the opposite direction of the turning wheel. Once the ball rests in one of the slots, the dealer calls out the winning number. The losing bets will be collected, and the winning bets will be paid out.
To win, a player needs to correctly predict where the ball will land at the end of each spin. Take note that wins are entirely random. The previous outcomes have nothing to do with the upcoming ones. The roulette table has no memory and is completely indiscriminate. The best online casinos use a random number generator to ensure all roulette online results are haphazard and unpredictable.
In live dealer roulette games, the croupier spins the wheel in real time and reads out the results. Many players prefer to play this version at online gambling sites because it’s more personal. Many of our recommended online casinos offer live roulette games for your convenience.
A Look at the Roulette Wheel
As we previously mentioned, the roulette wheel itself has 37 or 38 numbered slots. The numbers run from 1 to 38, then zero and double zeros. Only American roulette wheels have double zeros. On the wheel, even numbers are colored red, while odd numbers are colored black.
The zero and double zeros sections are colored green. When you play on single-zero tables for real money online in European roulette, the house edge is around 2.7%. In American roulette, on the other hand, the house edge jumps to 5.26% because of the double zeros.
Between 6 and 8 players can play roulette each round. Each player on the table is given a different colored chip to place wagers with. The separate colored chip is meant to track which player owns each bet.
Each colored chip represents one betting unit for the denomination of the roulette online table you’re playing on. So, if the virtual table you’re playing on is a $5 roulette table, then each chip is worth $5. Whenever you win, you’ll be paid in virtual chips.
Online Roulette Gambling Bets
Online roulette gambling bets are divided into ‘inside’ and ‘outside’ bets. Bets on individual or group numbers are called inside bets, while more general bets on larger sets of numbers are called outside bets. You’ll need to meet the table’s minimum bet requirement with either type of bet.
If a roulette online table’s minimum bet requirement is $5, and you have $1 chips, you’ll need to play at least five $1 chips. Most roulette tables don’t allow players to split the minimum table bet between the inside and outside bets. This means that if you choose to bet on the inside and outside areas, you’ll need to meet the minimum requirement for both areas.
At a table where the minimum bet is $4, for example, you cannot wager $2 each on the inside and outside bet. Instead, you’ll have to wager at least $4 on both the inside and outside bet areas to meet the table’s minimum bet. Below, we dive into more detail about the two types of bets.
Expect a roulette table to display the numbers 1 to 36 in twelve horizontal rows and three vertical columns. The first row specifies the numbers 1-2-3. The second row contains 4-5-6, and so on. These sections on the table, plus the green section — which displays the single and double zeroes — represent the inside betting area.
There are a variety of inside bets that can be put into play in online roulette gambling, and you can find them listed below.
- One-number Bet: This bet is made by placing chips in the middle of the section displaying the chosen number. This is also called a straight-up bet. It’s the highest-paying bet in roulette, with a payout of 35 to 1.
- Two-number Bet: This type of bet can be put into play by placing your chips on the line that is shared by two adjacent numbers. This is called a split bet, and the payout for this is 17 to 1.
- Three-number Bet: This is also called a street or trio bet. When playing roulette online, this bet is made by placing your chips on the outside edge of the row (for instance, 7-8-9). This bet pays 11 to 1.
- Four-number Bet: This is aptly named a corner bet, and it is made by placing your chips on the corners of a block of four intersecting numbers. That could be 2-3-5-6, for example. The corner bet pays 8 to 1.
- Six-number Bet: This is also called a line bet. You can make it by placing your chips on the edge of two adjacent rows covering the shared corners. The payout for this bet is modest, at a ratio of 5 to 1.
- Combination Bet: When making a real money bet on an roulette table, a combination bet includes the inside numbers and zero sections. This can be a five-number bet with a payout of 6 to 1. Also, as far as stakes go, a single or double zero is equivalent to any other number.
The outside section of the betting layout is designed to enable players to win more frequently than the inside section. To find the numbers correlating to outside bets on the wheel, look at the bottom and left areas. Below, we’ve listed the different types of outside bets that you can make.
- Low or High Bets: When you play roulette online, betting on the numbers 1 to 18 is called ‘low bets’, while betting on the numbers 19 to 36 is known as ‘high bets’. You win once the ball lands on any number within your chosen range. The payout for these types of bets is 1 to 1.
- Red or Black Bets: As the name indicates, red or black bets are placed on all numbers that are either red or black. You win if the winning number is your chosen color. The payout for these bets is also 1 to 1.
- Dozens Bets: With dozens bets, you’re betting on the first (1-12), second (12-24), or third square (25-36) of 12 numbers. The payout for this type of bet is 2 to 1.
- Columns Bets: Look at the columns to understand columns bets. The bets are placed in one of the three 12-number columns. You win when the ball stops in one of the columns. The column bet payout is 2 to 1.
- Even or Odd Bets: Here, you’ll place your chips on all even or odd numbers. The payout for this type of bet is 1 to 1.
Special Rules for Even Bets
There are two special rules when even bets are in play — the “En Prison” and “La Partage” rules. These rules lower the casino’s house edge. The house advantage is cut to 1.35% and 2.63% on a single and double zero table, respectively.
That said, not all online casino sites offer these rules. For those that do, here’s what to expect:
- En Prison Rule: This rule allows you to take back half your bet. Alternatively, you can leave the bet if the outcome of the roulette spin is a single or double zero. If the following spin results in an even, the player gets their money back in full. However, players forfeit the bet if the next bet results in a zero or odd number.
- La Partage Rule: In English, this rule is called “The Divide”, and is similar to the En Prison Rule. When invoked, the rule allows players to take back half of their bet if the spin results in a zero. However, there’s no option to leave half of their stake for another spin.
Now that you know exactly how simple — yet exciting — real money online roulette games are, it’s time to give them a try. With such a variety of betting options, anyone can try their luck at a roulette table, regardless of their experience level. After reading this guide, you’re well on your way to making your first big real money win.
All the major casinos that have been tested by our experts are 100% reliable. Generally speaking, high-profile gambling sites simply can’t afford losing any potential customers or alienating their player base by failing to meet the expectations of US-based online casino enthusiasts. The industry is very competitive, so any potential scandal would result in financial losses that would simply dwarf the profits generated by cheating some players out of their money.
Roulette players are free to claim standard online casino welcome bonuses. A typical offshore casino bonus allows you to grab about $2,000 and is a 200% or 300% match on the first deposit that you make.
Most of the US-facing sites offer American roulette and European roulette. In addition, a few sites allow their customers to play the live dealer version of the game using live video streaming technology.
Online roulette is a single-player game – all the tasks of the croupier are performed by the computer program and every table is a one man affair. Since no casino equipment is used, the outcome of each game is generated by RNG software. Online roulette is also considered to be significantly faster than its live counterpart, as there’s no need for the player to wait for the other players or the croupier in order to determine whether his bet won or lost.
The default deposit method for most offshore casino is to make a credit card payment. Some of the biggest sites support Western Union and MoneyGram payments. Withdrawals are almost always handled via a bank wire transfer, but some sites also support cashing out via a check by courier or via a Western Union/MoneyGram money order.
All of the federal-level regulations apply to online gambling operators and payment processors instead of individual players, so the legality of playing real money roulette over the internet is determined by local state law.
Most states haven’t regulated online gambling yet, so there’s nothing to prevent their residents from joining the action at one of the numerous offshore casino sites. However, you should keep in mind that a few states do explicitly prohibit online gambling, so you should always consult your local regulations before you actually decide to fund your on-site account.
Reliable casino sites frequently invite independent regulatory entities to test their RNG algorithms. That way the site can guarantee that the results of each spin are completely random. Generally speaking, you should avoid sites that fail to produce any proof of certification of this kind.